Written by Hassan Jabri
Monday, 07 March 2011 11:32
Persian Gulf or Arabian Gulf
http://www.persianorarabiangulf.com/index.php Your opinion matters , express what you think!
View Larger Map
| What do you think is the right name for gulf ? |
| ||Arabian Gulf الخليج العربي |
| ||Persian Gulf خليج فارس |
|What do you think is the right name for gulf ? |
| || |
| ||Persian Gulf خليج فارس - 71.9% |
| ||Arabian Gulf الخليج العربي - 28.1% |
| ||Total votes: 1659249 |
Information: Location: in Southwest Asia, is an extension of the Indian Ocean located between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula.
It has many good fishing grounds, extensive coral reefs, and abundant pearl oysters, but its ecology has come under pressure from industrialization, and in particular, petroleum spillages during the recent wars in the region.
It is about 615 mi (990 km) long and rarely exceeds a depth of 300 ft (90 m). It is connected with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea through the Strait of Hormuz. It contains the island kingdom of Bahrain and is bordered by Iran, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, and Iraq. It has long been a maritime trade route between the Middle East and South Asia.
has many good fishing grounds, extensive coral reefs, and abundant pearl oysters, but its ecology has come under pressure from industrialization, and in particular, oil and petroleum spillages during wars in the region.
|Why Arabian Gulf? ||Why Persian Gulf? |
- Used by the Arab League
- Used by United Nations in their Arabic documents and Arabic Language is an official language in the United Nations
- The name "Persian gulf" is linked to the Persian empire that does not exist any more. As Mediterranean sea used to be called Roman Sea
- The people who lives around the gulf from all sides are mostly Arabs so by demography it should be called Arabian Gulf
- There is 6 Arabic countries around the gulf but Iran is alone. and 70% of the coast line is under Arabic countries
- Check Arabian Gulf maps: Click here
- Used in most of the maps from long time ago so there is no need to change the name
- Used by United Nations in their documents
- It's a historical name
- Arabian gulf means the Red Sea so the "Arabian gulf" name may create confusion with the Red sea so it's better to use the name Persian gulf
- One of our users comment about one of the Arabian gulf statement that says "The people who lives around the gulf from all sides are mostly Arabs so by demography it should be called Arabian Gulf" I have to say: what they say is like saying, why Indian ocean there are more of other countries than India surrounding Indian Ocean. Not a good argument!
- One of the users suggest this site: www.persiangulfonline.org/maps.htm
Last Updated on Sunday, 03 July 2011 18:11